What is Attention?
Our brainwave changes according to what we are doing. When you focus your mind, studies have shown that the high-frequency energy of brain waves increases, and the low-frequency energy decreases.
Flowtime collects real-time brainwaves through the headband and measures the user's attention level. Based on extensive data analysis, the Attention algorithm calculates attention by analyzing the spectral characteristics of brainwaves. If the value turns higher, it means your brain is more active.
Many types of meditation need you to be focused on things such as your breath or an object. If you realize you are distracted, you need to come back and focus your mind on it again.
1. Wang, Yu-Kai & Jung, Tzyy-Ping & Lin, Chin-Teng. (2015). EEG-Based Attention Tracking During Distracted Driving. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering: a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 23. 10.1109/TNSRE.2015.2415520.
2. Xu, Lu-Qiang & Liu, Jing-Xia & Xiao, Guang-Can & Jin, Wei-Dong. (2013). Characterization and classification of EEG attention level. Journal of Computer Applications. 32. 3268-3270. 10.3724/SP.J.1087.2012.03268.
3. Lutsyuk, N. & Éismont, E. & Pavlenko, Vladimir. (2006). Modulation of attention in healthy children using a course of EEG-feedback sessions. Neurophysiology. 38. 389-395. 10.1007/s11062-006-0076-0.
4. Lansbergen, Marieke & Arns, Martijn & Dongen-Boomsma, Martine & Spronk, Desirée & Buitelaar, Jan. (2011). The increase in theta/beta ratio on resting-state EEG in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is mediated by slow alpha peak frequency. Progress in neuro-psychopharmacology & biological psychiatry. 35. 47-52. 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2010.08.004.
5. Putman, Peter & Verkuil, Bart & Arias-Garcia, Elsa & Pantazi, Ioanna & van Schie, Charlotte. (2013). Erratum to: EEG theta/beta ratio as a potential biomarker for attentional control and resilience against deleterious effects of stress on attention. Cognitive, affective & behavioral neuroscience. 14. 10.3758/s13415-013-0238-7.